Monday, December 1, 2014

Top Albums and Singles of 2014



2014 has proven that the traditional music business model is officially doomed.  Taylor Swift is the only artist that has reached platinum this year.  What does the future hold for the other thousands of musicians barely surviving?

I appreciate the fact that we now live in a DIY age where nearly anyone can produce, release and distribute their albums independently.  The only problem is that there is almost too much talent lurking about, and not an easy solution to filter all of the noteworthy acts flying just below the radar. 

That is why I believe that it is crucial for all music enthusiasts to contribute their favorite musical discoveries via the Internet or through word of mouth.  I don’t believe every artist that has “made it” is necessarily talented.  Sometimes fame is coincidental or based purely on luck. This year, I want to give a shout-out to my favorite albums and singles that may or may not have had the exposure it rightly deserves. With that said, here are my favorite albums and singles of 2014:


Top Albums of 2014

1.  Morning Phase - Beck




2.  St. Vincent - St. Vincent



3.  Give the People What They Want - Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings





4.  My Favorite Faded Fantasy - Damien Rice





 5.  Phonovisions Symphonic Orchestra -Wax Tailor


 

  Top Singles of 2014

1.  Strange Weather - Anna Calvi and David Byrne
2. Almost Like The Blues - Leonard Cohen
3. It Will End in Tears - Phillip Selway
4. Algiers - Afghan Whigs
5. Duvan - Amason
6. Careful You - TV On The Radio
7. Stay Awhile - She and Him
8. Coconut Sofa - Jaded Incorporated
9. Do You - Spoon
10. Am I Safe - Ryan Adams
11. Late Bloomer - Jenny Lewis
12. Digital Witness - St. Vincent
13. Low Key - Tweedy
14. Lucky Guy - Sondre Lerche
15. The Bend - Real Estate
16. Alone In My Home - Jack White
17. Silver Lining - First Aid Kit
18. Brill Bruisers - New Pornographers
19. Everyday Robots - Damon Albarn
20. No Sir - The Both
21. Someone New - Hozier
22. Pools - Glass Animals
23. Rainy Day Woman - Kat Edmonson
24. It Takes a Lot to Know a Man - Damien Rice
25. Stranger To My Happiness - Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings
26. Going Out - Hospitality
27. Wave - Beck
28. Me at the Museum, You in the Wintergardens - Tiny Ruins
29. Wolf - Lily & Madeleine
30. 1999 - Hollie Cook
31. Artifact #1 - Conor Oberest
32. Avant Gardener - Courtney Barnett
33. You Will Return - Quantic ft. Alice Russell
34. If I'm Unworthy - Blake Mills
35. Passing Out the Pieces - Mac DeMarco
36. Ojai - Ray LaMontagne
37. How Can You Really? - Foxygen
38. Turnaround - Dru Chen
39. Ben's My Friend - Sun Kil Moon
40. Sometimes - Wax Tailor

What are some of your favorite picks from this year?

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard "Birth in Reverse" before. I like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I posted the single 'Digital Witness' but you should definitely listen to the single Birth in Reverse...or preferably the entire album if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, nice to meet you! Great list here. See that's what's so hard about lists. I completely forgot how freaking incredible St.Vincent was. IS! Now, I would gladly bump Robert Plant and give Annie the spot. And Hospitality put out a great record. Maybe not top 5, but so radically different than their first that I loved it so much when it was released and for three straight weeks after. Damon Albarn, Spoon, Leonard Cohen and Glass Animals. 'Twas a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was originally going to feature the 'top 50 singles' but that would sound too exhaustive. But there were simply too many great new artists and veterans of the likes of Spoon, Damon Albarn and Leonard Cohen (like you noted) delivering new albums. Here's to a new year of music! 2015 has confirmed new albums by Belle and Sebastian, Father John Misty, The Go! Team, Laura Marling, Will Butler, Of Montreal and Bob Dylan. That should keep everyone busy.

    ReplyDelete