Monday, December 15, 2014

Top 5 Films of 2014




I generally shy away from posting each year's top films.  There are simply too many films to consume theatrically each year, and not enough money in the bank.  To my dismay, I am not an academy member, therefore, I am not sent copious amount of DVDs in the mail to review. It's a lot easier to generate 'End of the Year' music lists plainly because it is more attainable to acquire music online these days between album previews, generous free downloads from your favorite artists and YouTube.

I have seen a "whooping" fifteen films released in 2014.  I can guarantee you by next summer, my 'Top 5 Films of 2014' will look very different as I will have seen a dozen more films from 2014 as they are readily available as streaming rentals.

Still, I am eager to exchange personal favorites with other film lovers.  I want to know what has affected you cinematically and narratively.  I want to know which movies kept your mind reeling late at night.  Here are mine:


1.  Boyhood

I've been waiting several years for this film to see the light of day.  I can't think of anything more 'epic' than a coming of age film that chronicles the daily life of an ordinary boy throughout the course of twelve years (shot in real time).  Granted, nothing about this boy is all that heroic and nothing about his life may be considered universally important.  However, the ordinary is more extraordinary when seen through the lens of a boy as he reaches transformation.




 2.  Birdman

Just saw this blistering beautiful mess last Friday.  I'm not entirely sure what I witnessed, but I know I love it.





3.  Grand Budapest Hotel

Wes Anderson + Hitchcock approach = Must see




4.  Muppets Most Wanted

This may be the first Muppet feature film worthy of your time and affection since Muppet Treasure Island.  As much as I adore Jason Segel, I'm relieved the studio ditched him and his Muppet fanboy screenwriting approach.  This time around, we are gifted with the charming but also irreverent Muppets we dearly missed and a plot that keeps the film moving and soaring.






5.  3 Way Tie:
Interstellar, Gone Girl, The One I Love

All three of these films have kept me on the edge of my seat but also left me scratching my head.  I felt it was necessary to group these films together because of their hybrid genres.  Each film takes either a sci-fi or thriller approach to familiar romantic or family relationship tropes.  Although none of these films are perfect for they have left viewers with a number of intellectual plot gaps, they have still put a lease on my noggin.




Honorable Mentions: Chef, Guardians of the Galaxy, Only Lovers Left Alive, Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton

Films I Still Need to See: Theory of Everything, Whiplash, The Imitation Game, Inherent Vice, American Sniper

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't seen Grand Budapest Hotel. I know, gotta get to that.

    BOYHOOD, ALL THE WAY! Just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch that! .....and also Birdman if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete