Monday, February 9, 2015
Music Discovery Mondays
I didn't catch the Grammys this year. In fact, I probably haven't watched the Grammys since 1998 when Paula Cole flashed us with her unshaved armpits. It makes me sad when the Grammys instill nearly everything I despise when it comes to the music industry: lack of class and artistry. To further my point, in what world is it acceptable for a singer to gracelessly interrupt an acceptance speech inferring that the winner isn't deserving of their craft?
Despite my hatred of the Grammys, I was elated when I heard that St. Vincent won for Best Alternative Album, as well as Beck's win for Album of the Year. Below I have included some tracks from artists that deserve proper recognition either from the Grammys or elsewhere.
1. British folkster Laura Marling already has three critically acclaimed albums under belt all at the tender age of 25. Despite her youthful glow, her voice speaks as a woman with enough sage to command our attention and contemplation.
2. Kitty, Daisy & Lewis is a sibling trio responsible for reviving the old timey genres of R&B, Rock n Roll, Western swing, and country....but with a modern edge. In fact, The Clash's Mick Jones has stepped in as the band's first producer. Listen to their latest track here:
3. Fleet Foxes fans may be scratching their heads wondering when they can expect a new album from their favorite mountain men. In the meantime, fans can revel in the fact that Foxes' drummer known publicly as Father John Misty has steadily maintained a solo career of his own with two hauntingly beautiful albums to show for it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hmmm, Kitty, Davis and Lewis...interesting band!
ReplyDeleteOh and, UGH to Kanye and his vapid wife Kim and ALL of their attention seeking. I've had enough of them.
Delete